Tuesday 7 August 2012

Climbing Kilimanjaro (part 1)

I'm off in less than a hour to climb Kilimanjaro - the highest mountain in Africa.  Sitting at over 5800 metres (5895 metres to be exact), Kilimanjaro towers overs the plains below.

I'm sitting in a hotel in Moshi, a small town near the base of Kilimanjaro, waiting for my trek company, Tro-Peaks to pick me up.  I spent last night re-packing bags - putting everything I would need for Kili (fleece sweaters and pants, sneakers for the campsites, wool socks, mitts and a toque, base layers and gaiters) into a bag that porters will carry for me.  In another, smaller, day-pack, I've got my day-to-day items - camera, bandaids, binoculars and water that I'll carry.  I think I'm ready.

I think I'm ready.

The company told me to take it one day at a time - don't try to climb the peak before you get there.  Just look to what you're doing now, go slowly, stay hydrated, rest and eat.  Those are the keys to reaching the summit. 

I've got four days of hiking upwards before I try to tackle the summit, leaving the last camp at midnight, to see the sunrise over the peak on the fifth day.  After that, it's all downhill, as we push ourselves to be back in Moshi by the seventh day.  (But as they say, downhill is always so much easier.)

I've prepared by hiking in the Adirondacks with a friend, and by walking as much as possible.  Here's hoping it's been enough!

See you in a week, after I've conquered the snows of Kilimanjaro!

No comments:

Post a Comment