Tuesday 9 August 2011

Always ride the elephant


My mother has this saying, “Always ride the elephant”.  It’s a stranger way of saying “When opportunity knocks, open the door.”  The theory is how often are you given the chance to ride an elephant?  It’s not, or it shouldn’t be, an opportunity you say no to.

My elephant is the Canary Islands.  It is increasingly looking as if a trip to Costa Rica is a no go – it’s simply too expensive (right now) to do what I would like to do – which is a trekking and diving tour.  There is still a possibility of going down and staying in a resort that offers some snorkelling and diving, and that’s something that will, hopefully, be figured out within the next few days.

The Canary Islands have popped up several times in my various travel preparations.  Last winter when I was planning my Christmas holidays they were a potential destination, before I decided on Hawaii.  They’re a very popular European destination in winter, as they tend to have very nice temperatures year round – 18˚C to 24˚C.  This makes booking early essential – not necessarily the flight, although that is important as I have to transit through Europe, but also hotels as they book up fast.  Especially at Christmas.

Tomorrow I meet up with my travel buddy to see where we stand on Costa Rica, as well as our ideas for the vacation – the timing, the duration, activities we want, and don’t want, to do.  Who knows?  Maybe we’ll end up a completely different location!

No comments:

Post a Comment